Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Just for fun

I know Pretty Nifty Gifts has nothing to do with food, but I really want to share this receipe with you.

See, my husband purchased a 1/2 cow "by accident", he'll have to explain that and for some reason I don't think it was an "accident".  So, I am left with a freezer so full of meat we can barely close it!  When you buy a cow (or hog) you get to pick the cuts of meat you want and then the butcher throws in the other cuts.  Well, one of those other cuts is rounds steak.  I think round steak comes from the butt area.... anyway, that's not a cut of meat I would normally purchase from the store, but I got a lot of it and I need to do something with it!

I wasn't even a big swiss steak fan, UNTIL I put together this super, dooper recipe.  Try it and let me know what you think!

My new motto is: You can cook any piece of meat long enough to make it taste good and tender!

My killer Swiss Steak recipe:

Round steak - cut to small steak size portions/fat removed
Dish #1 – 1 ½ cup flour, salt/pepper, seasoning salt and 1 pouch of Italian Seasoning
Dish #2 - Large glass baking dish: ½ box beef broth, 1 pouch onion/mushroom soup mix – whisk together – set aside
Dish #3 – in Bowl put ½ to 1 cup diced white onion (depending on if you like onions), 1 diced green pepper, 1 can of sliced mushrooms (drained) and 1 can of diced tomatoes (w/ oregano, basil & garlic) (not drained)
Dredge steak in flour mix, coat nicely and then brown both sides in pan with hot oil. After browning, put steak in beef broth dish.
When all steaks are browed and in glass baking dish #2, pour dish #3 on top, spread over meat w/ spoon and bake!
Bake @ 350 degrees for 1 ½ hours (until meat is very tender)

2 comments:

  1. yum! going to share this recipe with my son, he loves to cook and has actually made Swiss steak a few times since summer:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melodee... I hope it turns out for him :) We sure enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete